Wednesday 9 March 2016

Art Recipe: Tag Full of Memories

Hi there my dear ones!
You know that I love versatility of products and I always keep looking for new ways of using the ones I already have at home. When I was planning this Art Recipe I was thinking about new, cool way of using my Art Basics... and then the idea came to my mind: how about using pastes as a base for hot embossing?
In a short time I was ready to go - I picked the papers, matching colours of embossing powder and started experimenting! I've tried different combinations and soon I found the one I want to share with you today: Art Basics Light Paste + Embossing Powder = wonderful, puffy, dimensional effect!
Just check out this tag below - I used this technique to create this background and I love the results!


Of course you can use other pastes and gels to get similar effect - but I believe the lovely, a bit spongy (yes, it's almost like a marshmallow!) texture of the Light Paste works the best here!


To  make the effect even better I decided to use different shades of embossing powder on one tag - that makes the colour blend beautifully and helps to create rich, multidimensional look.



To decorate the tag I've used a bit of fabric elements such as flowers, lace and burlap and then I continued with paper flowers, Mechanicals and Art Pebbles. All that was coloured and splattered with a bit of watered down gesso... I'm quite happy with the results and I hope you will like my new Art Recipe too! Here it goes!


Here is the whole project, done step-by step:


1. As I wanted to work on a patterned paper I've started cutting the patterned paper from 7 Dost Studio Verano Azul collection into a shape of a tag. I made it slightly smaller than the tag I had and decided to use as a base. I picked a damask stencil and applied coat of Art Basics Light Paste on the top of my tag - the layer wasn't very thick. When the Light Paste was still wet I sprinkled embossing powders of my choice (WOW and Lindy's Stamp Gang) on the top of it, took off the excess of it ona piece of paper and put back in the jar. I used 2-3 different shades of embossing powder to make the project more interesting!


2. I used my heating tool to melt the embossing powder on the top of the Light Paste - it was so easy and it looks very cool!
Tip: if you want to get more grungy effect you can overheat the paste in some places to create really fun looking bubbles!


3. When my embossed background was dry I could focus on building the layers - using my new Art Basics Heavy Bosy Gel as a dimensional adhesive I added fabric, chipboard and metal elements to the tag to create maximum dimension and interesting composition. I left some empty space for the vintage image I wanted to use! As you can see I used hot embossing technique with one of the embossing powders on the part of double-layered chipboard element too - to add metallic finish to this intricate embellishment. I continued gluing the embellishments to the tag using paper flowers and clear Art Pebbles. I dried the project with heating tool and I was ready for the next step.


4. I started adding colours to the tag using a brush and home-made tea stain (the most beautiful brown colour available...) and selected tones of Ecoline waterolour paints. I dried all the layers and then I splattered a bit of white on the top of the composition: watered down Art Basics Heavy White Gesso was perfect for this step. I dried the project again.


5. It was time for the finishing touches - inking the edges of the tag with Walnut Stain and Peacock Feathers Distress Inks, adding a bit of silver Art Ingredients Micro Beads (Art Basics Soft Gel is a perfect adhesive for that step!) and finally using 3D Foam Squares to attach the vintage image from 7DS Cold Country sheet of stickers. After that I only had to glue down my tag to the base and add a piece of ribbon, stained with tea... and the project was ready!


List od the supplies I used - all of them taken from Mixed Media Place Store:


Thank you again for visiting  - make sure you will be back on Friday to see new tutorial by one of my super talented Creative Team Members!
Wishing you a great, creative week

14 comments:

Olena Shynkarenko said...

Incredible tag! I love Your products and really want into your team .

Kathy Bradley said...

What a wonderful new art recipe for your gorgeous tag. The layers are wonderful, as are the colors and elements.

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic!

Rosemary Hanson said...

Wow! Thanks for showing us how!!

Marie/Mison said...

This is actually one of my favorite techniques. I often sprinkle embossing powder over wet mediums, and then heat. And mixing it with clear gesso makes it really interesting because you never know how it ends up dry. Try to paint white heavy gesso on chipboard, sprinkle metal embossing powder and heat - the metal effect you get is really cool.

Wilma said...

Love this recipe. Thanks for showing how you made this gorgeous tag!!

Kim Collister Studio said...

Love the tag and the techniques used!

LucianaW said...

Thanks is amazing!!!! xoxo

Shannon Helwig said...

I can't wait to try this!

Sandy said...

Beautiful tag - I need to try and copy it so I can learn a thing or two.
I think it is a widely recognized that copy someone is the highest form of flattery!! Some people just know what they are doing - you are right and I am sooooo wrong!
sandy cc

SewPaperPaint said...

Truly GORGEOUS!!!

Jean Bullock said...

This is fabulous! I pinned. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415386765612279500/

KV Creative Designs said...

I have not tried your techniques yet, but I love them! Maybe a tag is just the right start! Also winning the giveaway will be a great start to my collection of your products! Thanks so much!
Artful Blessings,
KV

Rosário Garcia said...

Love the project!!! Layers and Layer of Beauty! Are those clear pebbles made of glass??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...